Narcissus' Echo

Thoughts, tears, rants, ruminations, hopes, fears, love(s), and prayers of just another being passing through this wracked sphere...

My Photo
Name:

A round peg in a world of square holes...

Friday, July 15, 2005

selling out... NOT!



*rant*
Someone please slap me.

I don't know what came over me this afternoon: what made me walk into Banana Republic as I drove past Stanford Mall, in Palo Alto. Two fancy dress shirts, two pairs of pants, some socks and US$367.00 later, I walked out a complete sellout, a mall clone, and a FOB archetype.

A billion "Thank You"s to my housemate for waking me up.

Screw this.
All of these are going to be returned next week.
I will not sell my soul, my identity--me--to blend in with, impress, or gain the respect of, others.
I am more--much more--than that.
I am neither a cheap suit nor an empty one.

Come what may, I will be... me.
*rant off*

As a student of postcolonial literary theory, I can't help but observe ironic parallels between former practices of the British Empire in coercing natives in the tropics to conform to the attire worn in England (shirt, pants, tie, coat, hat), and the almost pathological need to "dress up to the nines" in the FOB and Asian-American population in contemporary America. And then, of course, then there is the inane regulation in NUS mandating full-length pants and covered shoes for male students. All in 86-93 F / 30-34 C heat and 80-95% humidity.

Read V. S. Naipaul's Mimic Men. It will open your eyes to the well-dressed frauds walking around you.


Postscript:
It's not the money. FYI, I spend more on breathing gas (Helium, Nitrox, and 100% Oxygen) on a single technical diving trip. Try shelling out US$400 to fill a pair of twins with Trimix (Helium, Nitrogen, Oxygen)--that will only last one dive--and then come talk to me about being a cheapass. Awww hell, I spent more than that on gas (petrol) driving to Las Vegas and back in my Supra... And then there's always my US$5800 Merlin mountain bike... (I have 4 mountain bikes: 2 in Singapore, 2 in USA. All of their prices in 4 figures, US dollar). Try comparing that with your Armani Exchange rags, bitch.

While you are still playing dress up, I am piloting one-man-portable life-support equipment in physiologically-hostile environments. Go home now, your fancy clothes might get dirty, and mummy's calling...


This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man. (William Shakespeare)

4 Comments:

Blogger daftbitch said...

once more... if u dare to return the clothes to BR, u're gonna get it from me...

clothes maketh a man... hahahaha

12:28 AM  
Blogger -ben said...

LOL! Eve, you always crack me up.
Give it up, you will never turn me into a metrosexual.
Not now. Not ever!
;-P

7:05 PM  
Blogger daftbitch said...

metrosexual...
ooohhhh big word. U're a long way from it.
Two shirts from BR won't make you closer to a metrosexual, just gonna make you more socially acceptable. QUEER PIG.

For PETA, it's i rather go naked than wear fur. For BEN, it's i rather go naked than wear BR?!?!

Clothes maketh a man...today, tomorrow, and the future.

3:06 AM  
Blogger -ben said...

Actually, examples of big words would be "antidisestablishmentarianism" or "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis."

And with regards to "socially acceptable," it all depends what I define as "society," isn't it? *grin* Mall clones don't count as "society" to me. "Lemmings" fit them better. Better to be queer than a fraud/clone, IMHO.

Give it up, no one can change me, SAF had me for 2.5 years and they still failed. Some of us are born to take the road not taken; the road others fear to walk.

Don't worry... I am getting some new clothes all right. A suit, in fact. What brand? What kind of suit? Well, stay tuned. I promise I will post pictures once I collect/wear it in a couple of weeks.

Stay tuned...

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home