Narcissus' Echo

Thoughts, tears, rants, ruminations, hopes, fears, love(s), and prayers of just another being passing through this wracked sphere...

My Photo
Name:

A round peg in a world of square holes...

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Grief came riding on the wind

Anyone else think the lyrics of this song bear more than a passing semblance to The Wasteland? I love this song... Anyone who watched Shrek 2 may recall the song, "People Just Ain't No Good." That song is also by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Grief Came Riding, by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Grief came riding on the wind
Up the solemn River Thames
I was sitting on the bank with my mouth open
And I felt it entering

I began thinking about our wedding day
And how love was a vow
And I was thinking about the chamber door
Only we can enter now
I began thinking about our ancient friends
And of kissing them goodbye
And then the wind blew under Battersea Bridge
And a tear broke from my eye

I started thinking about London
How nothing good ever came from this town
And if the Thames weren’t so filthy
I would jump into the river and drown

Don’t be afraid
C’mon down
I’m just sitting here thinking aloud

Grief came riding on the wind
Up the river where the bridges crouch
Blowing people back and forth
From the marital bed to the psychiatric couch
Blowing people far apart
Blowing others so they collide
Blowing some poor bastard right out of the water
Blowing another one over the side

Hear the ancient iron-bridge
And listen to it groan
With the weight of a thousand people
Leaving or returning home
To their failures
To their boredoms
To their husbands and their wives
Who are carving them up for dinner
Before they even arrive

Don’t be afraid
C’mon down
I’m just sitting here thinking aloud

Now look there just below the water
See the Savior of the human race
With the fishes and the frogs
Has found His final resting place

Don’t be afraid
C’mon down
I’m just sitting here thinking of love.

1 Comments:

Blogger daftbitch said...

No I don't recall.
Yepz, i don't recall whatever song you're talking about.

quit using BIG WORDS, Ben,
you're making me go ctrl-apple-D on everything.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home