Narcissus' Echo

Thoughts, tears, rants, ruminations, hopes, fears, love(s), and prayers of just another being passing through this wracked sphere...

My Photo
Name:

A round peg in a world of square holes...

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Courage, my dear!





Sang for the Sacrament of Confirmation today. 31 Santa Clara students received their confirmation. Presiding was Father Gerdenio "Sonny" Manuel. Formal attire in the school colors was required (red, white, and black) on this special occasion, so I was uncharacteristically well dressed. For a moment, I actually considered wearing Primal Wear's printed spandex cycling jersey,




but decided that I might very well be crucified for it.

I must admit I was a little taken aback, even daunted, when I walked into the church: there were only 3 tenors (including myself) today. All the others were vastly more experienced than me (some are even music majors). Talk about pressure. I was tempted to come up with an excuse (e.g. sudden diarrhea, apartment on fire, appendicitis, etc.) and flee.

But I stayed--and had a great time. Once I realized that it wasn't about me, and that I was simply there to contribute to something infinitely greater, I relaxed--and sang.

And so, the small choir--all 6 of us: 1 soprano, 1 alto, 3 tenors, 1 bass--sang on that sunny, breezy, Californian evening. At times, I would switch to augment the bass. E.g. Veni Sancte Spiritus. As the mass progressed, it got even better: we sang one of my favorites, John D. Baker's "Litany of the Saints" during the "Laying on of Hands" ceremony.








After the mass, a number of people in the congregation actually came up and told us we sang beautifully. What can I say? Our Choral Director works his magic all the time :-)

What a glorious evening!

Thank you, darlings!


Postscript
300th post!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home